The Burke & Herrick Churches have been invited to be a part of the Dakotas Conference's Journey Renewal Partnership. We started by getting the churches involved in a Breakthrough Prayer movement designed to invite the Holy Spirit to move and work in the midst of our churches. Additionally, the churches attended several workshops designed to do some of the groundwork for the Journey Renewal Partnership. Pastor Clay also met with the other pastors involved in the partnership for support, additional training, and help navigating Journey Renewal.
The Process... In May 2017, the Burke & Herrick Churches were joined by leaders from across the Dakotas Conference for a weekend of interviews, Focus Groups, worship, and training that helped the Consultation Team develop prescriptions designed to help the Burke & Herrick churches strengthen and deepen their vitality and witness to the Gregory County Area. The next Sunday, the Herrick & Burke Churches received their prescription report and heard a video from Rev. Rebecca Trefz, our director of ministries for the Dakotas Conference. Then, in June 2017, the Burke & Herrick Churches came together and voted unanimously to approve the Journey Renewal Prescription Report and have started working to implement the prescriptions alongside our coaches and task forces.
What we've done so far...
- Dreamed about a new name for our parish that unifies us as one parish body.
- Launched a brand new worship service for families who want a different style of worship on a different day (Our Wednesday Contemporary service).
- Bolstered our Breakthrough Prayer movement by incorporating our prayer into worship.
- Formed an outreach team that's always searching for fun ways to engage our community.
- Walked through a Bible study on hospitality
What we're still dreaming about...
- A youth event for after a football or basketball game.
- A summer concert outreach event
- Adding discipleship opportunities to our Wednesday Night Worship.
Over the next few months and years, we'll be working together to re-name our parish so that it's not tied to either location (Burke or Herrick), build bridges of invitation into our communities so that we're always outward-focused, expanding our Worship Wednesday Ministry to include a Wednesday Evening Contemporary Service, and overcoming our financial fears through training, preaching, and policy.